The Augusta Power Stations have a long and valued history providing reliable generation to the South Australian and National Electricity Market. The 90MW Playford A Power Station was commissioned on reclaimed land at the northern tip of Spencer Gulf in 1954. The site was subsequently expanded to accommodate the 240MW Playford B Power Station, which was commissioned in 1963. Generation was secured through the utilisation of the Leigh Creek Coalfields, and the construction of a 250km dedicated rail line connection. In the early 1980`s an adjacent site was prepared at Port Augusta, culminating in the construction of the 520MW Northern Power Station in 1985.
Consistent with the objective of leaving the site in a safe and stable condition suitable for industrial/commercial use, certain infrastructure has been retained in-situ, as agreed with the Government, which has been identified for future use.
For further community information or to read the plans and documentation for the Augusta Power Station Site, please click here.
Independent information about the APS Ash Storage and Dust Monitoring can also be obtained direct from the EPA.